T: 01483 427792 M: 07776 061670
- Action for Happiness: www.actionforhappiness.org
- Five Ways to Well-Being: mind.org.uk: Five ways to wellbeing
Mental Health Links
- MHFA England: mhfaengland.org
- Mind: www.mind.org.uk
- Ending mental health discrimination: www.time-to-change.org.uk
- Rethink: www.rethink.org
- Sane: www.sane.org.uk
- Mental Health Foundation: www.mentalhealth.org.uk
- Mental Health at Work: acas.org.uk: Promoting Positive Mental Health at Work
Books recommended for specific conditions:
- I Had a Black Dog by Matthew Johnstone: illustrated book about depression.
(See also Youtube: I had a black dog, his name was depression)
- Living with a Black Dog by Matthew and Ainsley Johnstone: illustrated book about how to care for someone with depression.
- Sunbathing in the Rain by Gwyneth Lewis: a personal account of severe depression.
- My Age of Anxiety by Scott Stossel: a personal story of living with anxiety.
- Henry’s Demon’s by Patrick & Henry Cockburn: a personal father/son story about living with psychosis.
- The Man Who Couldn’t Stop by David Adam: personal experience of living with OCD.
- Waking by Matthew Sanford: a personal reflection on recovering from physical and emotional trauma.
Mental Health Apps:
- See apps.beta.nhs.uk for mental health apps recommended or being tested by the NHS.
Training, courses and practice sessions:
- For alternative UK teachers: www.mindfulnessteachersuk.org.uk
- For alternative courses in West Surrey: www.westsurreymindfulness.org.uk
- London Insight: www.londoninsight.org
- Bangor University: www.bangor.ac.uk/mindfulness
Organisations Offering Retreats:
There are many books available about mindfulness, both general information, as well as relating to specific applications. Some authors recommended by Present Minds are:
- Jon Kabat-Zinn
- Mark Williams
- Christopher Germer
- Cheryl Rezek
- Adam Ford
- Vidyamala Burch
- Saki Santorelli
- Bhante Henepola Gunaratana
There are many podcasts available that can be extremely helpful in our understanding and practice of mindfulness. Good places to look are:
- Dharmaseed: itunes: Dharmaseed.org: dharma talks and meditation instruction
- Gaia House: gaiahouse.co.uk/dharma-talks
- Tara Brach: tarabrach.com/audiodharma.html
Apps can provide useful portable mindfulness practices, or simply a meditation timer that can support your practice. Some recommended ones are:
- Insight Meditation Timer: Google Play: Insight Timer – Meditation App
- The Mindfulness App: itunes: The Mindfulness App: Meditation for Everyone
- Headspace: www.headspace.com
- Calm: www.calm.com